Right here at HealthSherpa, we strongly consider in creating inclusive and equitable areas, which construct belief, respect and a way of belonging which can be crucial to our tradition and work. We’re dedicated to constructing a staff that represents the individuals who use our merchandise, as we all know that it will advance our mission of creating healthcare inexpensive to those that want it.
We’re excited to function our colleagues and listen to extra about their experiences at HealthSherpa, from their first touchpoints all the best way as much as their tenure and progress on the staff. For this subsequent publish, we spoke with Patricia Pichardo, Vice President of Product Administration, who opens up about why she stated sure to HealthSherpa, her private journey to mission-driven work, and what her day-to-day seems to be like.
I’ve been at HealthSherpa for nearly 2 months now. There was an acquisition at my final firm, and it led to a variety of change; it opened my eyes to exterior alternatives. I began getting pinged rather a lot by recruiters and there have been attention-grabbing jobs opening up. I’d labored in liquor straight earlier than HealthSherpa; however earlier than that, I’d labored in a mission-driven setting, and I actually missed that mission connectivity.
So once I began exploring new alternatives, what actually made HealthSherpa stand out was the mission, and the chance to do what I do professionally to usher some good into the world.
Personally, when Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico in 2017, I discovered myself advocating for Puerto Ricans within the diaspora – it actually wakened one thing inside me. With mates and different volunteers, we had been in a position to take action a lot – we helped individuals get out of the Island, helped feed youngsters who had been going with out meals, helped individuals get entry to fundamental wants.
After this expertise, I began serious about different points that weren’t essentially straight impacting one thing that I used to be near. So when Sarah (Ahn, Senior Recruiter) reached out to me about this position at HealthSherpa, it felt like a complete match for me. How would I get higher if I obtained sick, and I didn’t have enough insurance coverage? That could be a actual situation, an actual drawback. And HealthSherpa is fixing it – and it’s a worthwhile firm, with a dedication to range, fairness and inclusion. It was a complete no-brainer to say sure to speak about this position.
There have been a number of issues that stood out to me:
- The human contact. I’d labored with good recruiters earlier than, however at HealthSherpa, it wasn’t simply the recruiter. Sarah launched me to the subsequent individual, who introduced the identical nice contact and humanity to the method. It was clear that the recruiter and the hiring supervisor shared the identical values, and that there was clear intention informing the method.
- The candor. Sarah and all the individuals on the interview staff had been very candid with me about what the true issues had been, the true wants had been, and what the precise actuality at HealthSherpa regarded like.
- The belief. The staff trusted one another in a really implicit means. Later within the course of, I obtained to fulfill a few of my teammates, friends and direct experiences. The conversations felt natural and real with the staff as properly. It didn’t really feel just like the staff was being avoided the method; they requested questions (and vice versa), and it confirmed me that the recruiter and hiring supervisor positioned a variety of belief within the staff, too – and from the conversations, it felt clear that the belief existed in each instructions.
So, not solely are they human, and candid, however they belief one another. They really feel actually comfy about one another’s positions. After I spoke to George (Chief Govt Officer), he stated that he didn’t must assess whether or not I’d be a superb product chief – that was Cat’s (Chief Product Officer) job. He simply wished to determine whether or not I’d be a superb match for the corporate normally, and to supply the chance to ask questions of one other co-founder who wasn’t managing this position.
I get up within the morning and work out a minimum of 3x/week earlier than beginning the day. After this, I sit down and have some quiet time. I spend time planning my day, establishing my conferences, and guaranteeing that I’m arrange for achievement for the remainder of the day. I often have conferences after that – roughly 2-4hrs of conferences per day, and 2-4 hrs of quiet time, whether or not pre-planned or ad-hoc.
It’s an excellent combination of collaboration, listening in, and asking the precise questions and ensuring that we’re ready to make the precise choices. Often my day ends with a gathering – a 1:1 with my supervisor or a direct report, or a company-wide assembly. I’d thought that this could really feel odd as a result of I used to spend time on the finish of the day alone, however I’ve discovered this actually energizing. There’s additionally a lot to study – I depart the day nearly day-after-day feeling energized and like I’m studying. I depart the times very glad.
I’ve realized that there are issues that we take with no consideration, that aren’t as simple as they appear. Everybody is aware of about healthcare; no person goes by way of life without having it, with out taking part on this system not directly. There’s a lot to study as a shopper – and it’s unusual to consider this, as a result of it’s one thing fundamental, regular, wanted, and important. You will get sick in some unspecified time in the future, and also you will inevitably want healthcare.
So, studying the complexities of the area is basically necessary. There are issues that you simply would possibly assume are easy and you discover out that they’re truly very sophisticated. I’ve been approaching a variety of this with humility, and counting on the folks that I’ve been working with to assist me get on board. I 100% should depend on my teammates to organize me and maintain me up once I make errors.
I’d say two issues:
- If you happen to’re serious about working right here, don’t assume twice. You must undoubtedly discover alternatives with us, and apply if you see one thing that might be a superb match for you.
- For somebody who isn’t so positive about HealthSherpa, for no matter purpose – contemplate the place you’re and the affect you’re making the place you’re, after which contemplate the potential affect you could possibly make engaged on one thing that can assist resolve such an enormous drawback. There’s nothing that feels higher than doing a job you get pleasure from, and understanding the way it will profit individuals in an enormous means.
Need to work with Patricia and the remainder of our phenomenal staff? Click on right here to discover present openings and listen to from extra teammates at HealthSherpa!